Diplomatic Visas (A-1 & A-2)
Who qualifies for an A-1 or A-2?
- The individual concerned must be traveling to the United States on behalf of his or her national government to engage solely in official activities for that government.
- The particular duties or services to be performed must also be of an inherently governmental character or nature.
Who does not qualify for an A-1 or A-2?
- Local government officials representing their state, province, borough, or other local political entity do not qualify for "A" visa status; they require B-1 or B-2 visas.
- Government officials traveling to the United States to perform non-governmental functions of a commercial nature or traveling as tourists require the appropriate H, L or B visa; they do not qualify for diplomatic visas.
Important note: Foreign officials who intend traveling to the United States on official business must obtain an "A" visa prior to their entry. They cannot travel on tourist visas, or visa free under the Visa Waiver Program.
Diplomatic passport holders are exempt from paying visa fees for all types of visas. Official passport holders are not charged for official visas, but are required to pay visa application and reciprocal issuance fees if applicabale, for all non-official visas.
Note: Qualified A visa applicants traveling to the United States for assignments of less than 90 days will be issued visas annotated "TDY" (temporary duty).
- Valid Passport with blank, available pages
- The DS-160 application form confirmation page
- Two color photographs, 5 cm x 5 cm, white background, forehead and ears fully visible, and wearing only small earrings;
- A Note Verbale. The Note Verbale should list the name of the official travelers and specify their title or official status. It should also specify the date of departure from Mexico, the purpose of the trip, and the destination & length of stay in the United States.
Deliver the application packet to the U.S. Embassy via the Rio Papaloapan Entrance, which intersects Rio Sena, between 10:00 am and 12:00 PM from Monday to Friday. Indicate that you are delivering official visa applications. All material is carefully reviewed and scanned before it is accepted.