Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Reschedule for visa interviews

  • Dear Applicant,

    The Embassy is making more appointments available to help you travel over the busy holiday season.  We will have limited availability later in December.  Anyone with a visa interview scheduled at the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City after December 19th, 2014 will need to reschedule for an earlier date. We regret any inconvenience this may cause, and hope that making an earlier appointment available will help you manage your travel plans.

    To do so, please visit the CSC self-service website and chose an earlier appointment, or contact the call center for assistance (55-85263111 or 55-11634677).

    If this change will cause substantial hardship, please contact the call center to make other arrangements.

    Thank you for your understanding and patience.


  • Starting November 3, 2014, most Immigrant Visas currently processed at the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City will be transferred to the U.S. Consulate General in Ciudad Juarez. The last day of operations for the Immigrant Visa section at the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City is October 17, 2014. Please note, international adoption cases under the Hague Convention will continue to be processed at the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City.

    Effective immediately, all Immigrant Visa applicants residing in Mexico City and Estado de Mexico should visit the Panel Physician clinic located in Mexico City for their medical examinations prior to their Immigrant Visa appointment in Ciudad Juarez.

    We understand and apologize for any inconvenience this change may cause. For more information regarding your Immigrant Visa application or how this change will affect your process please visit the following link:

    To contact the U.S. Consulate in Ciudad Juarez or U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services about your case, please visit this webpage:


U.S. Embassy to Enhance Services with Border Crossing Cards for Mexican Visitors.

MEXICO CITY – Beginning October 29, the Visa Units of the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City and the U.S. Consulate General in Merida will join the other U.S. visa issuing offices around the country by issuing Border Crossing Cards (BCCs) to applicants who qualify for 10-year, non-immigrant visas for tourists and business travelers known as a “B1/B2 visa.” The BCC is a credit card-style document with new security features and business and tourist travels will no longer receive a visa attached inside their passport. All current visas will remain valid and travelers do not need to apply for the new Border Crossing Card visa until their existing visa is due to expire. There is no additional charge for the Border Crossing Card and travelers will continue to pay the $160 application fee currently in effect. Travelers will need to travel with both a valid passport and the Border Crossing Card.

Border Crossing Cards were issued in Mexico City and Merida previously.  With the reintroduction of BCCs in Merida and Mexico City, all visa issuing posts in Mexico can now offer the same convenient product to visa applicants.
Travelers with current tourist visas need not reapply as a result of this change. Previously issued visas, including – the paper visas affixed to the inside of a passport called “BBBCVs” issued in Mexico City from 2007 through 2012, will remain valid for travel until the expiration date printed on the visa. The Visa Unit will continue to issue visa inside of passports in cases of emergency travel, and for visa classes and validity periods other than 10-year, B1/B2 visas.
The new BCC is more convenient for many travelers and will not change the application process. Qualified applicants will receive their cards two to three weeks from the time of their application.

An added security feature of the new BCC will enable card holders to use the Ready Lanes introduced by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) as a way to expedite motorist travel across the border. A number of land border crossings now have a special Ready Lane for motorists who have a Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) enabled card such as the BCC. The CBP border crossing stations are able to scan the card from 10 to 15 feet away. Motorists and their passengers simply need to hold their BCCs up to the windshield while driving through the crossing.

Welcome to the Visa Section!

The Visa Section of the United States Embassy in Mexico City processes applications for both nonimmigrant and immigrant visas to the U.S.  Click on the links below or on the left side of the page to learn more about the Visa Section.

Customer Service Statement
The Department of State manages the visa process strictly but fairly in order to best protect the United States.  We are committed to the essential openness for which the United States has always been known.  Travel to the United States is welcomed and encouraged. 

Nonimmigrant visas
Nonimmigrant visas are for people visiting the U.S. temporarily for tourism, business, education, medical treatment, or petition-based employment.  The type of visa required depends on your purpose of travel.  

Immigrant visas
Immigrant visas are for applicants planning to permanently relocate to the United States.   The U.S. Embassy in Mexico City is currently processing immigrant visas in the F4 and adoption categories.

Contact the Visa Section
In Contact the Visa Section, you can ask for an update on a pending IV or NIV application, obtain assistance in making a visa appointment, or request an emergency appointment. 

Consular A to Z Index
This comprehensive resource has definitions and links to consular terminology used in U.S. Citizen Services, Immigrant Visas, and Non-Immigrant visas. 

Consular Calendar
View our holiday and administrative closures.


Visit our Homepage

  • Thread

U.S. Embassy Mexico Service News

  • Visa Appointments

    Dear Customers,

    We ask that you arrive for your appointment at the Embassy no earlier than 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment time.  Applicants are allowed in at the time of their appointment ONLY.  In addition, we ask that you do not bring family members who do not have an appointment.  Due to space constraints, there is limited space to wait in front of the Embassy and you are not permitted to block public sidewalks, streets, and throughways. 

Travel & Tourism in the U.S.

  • Tourism Badge

Visa News

Fraud Notice / Warning

Global Entry

  • It is possible to use the Global Entry Program with visas other than your tourist visa, for example a TN or L visa. To do so, you must visit a Global Entry enrollment center to have your new visa associated with your Global Entry profile. The same is true if your original visa enrolled with Global Entry expires or is  changed for any reason. If you do not use the correct visa for your purpose of travel, you will have immigration problems, which could include having your Global Entry membership cancelled. For example, if you enter on Global Entry with your B1/B2 visa for TN work, but did not register or do not have a valid TN visa. For further questions on which visas can and cannot be used with global entry, please see the following address: