Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Reports of Birth Abroad

The birth of a child abroad to a U.S. citizen parent(s) should be reported as soon as possible so that a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) can be issued as an official record of the child’s U.S. citizenship. A CRBA can only be created at an American consular office overseas while the child is under age 18. To qualify, at least one of the parents must have been a U.S. citizen on the date of the child’s birth and must have resided in the United States for the required period of time (see below). 



  1. Completed CRBA Application -- form DS-2029
  2. Original or Certified Copy of the Mexican birth certificate -- a provisional copy cannot be accepted. You should also bring the hospital birth certificate.
  3. Proof of Parent’s Citizenship -- Please show one of the following documents for one or both parents: US Passport (valid or recently expired), original U.S. birth certificate, or original certificate of naturalization.
  4. Proof of both parents' identity -- driver’s license, state ID card, Mexican voting card (IFE), passport, etc.
  5. Proof of the relationship between the U.S. citizen parent(s) and the child. The child’s birth certificate with both parents’ names on it is the best form of proof. 
  6. Marriage/Divorce Certificate(s):
    • If parents are married, please provide an original or certified copy of the marriage certificate and any prior divorce decrees (if applicable). 
    • If the parents were not married at the time of child’s conception, please provide proof of the existence of the relationship at that time, for example, time-stamped photos, lease agreements, receipts, financial statements, etc.
  7. Proof of the U.S. citizen parent’s physical presence in the United States:
    • The period of physical presence in the United States required to transmit citizenship depends on the date of birth of the child and the marital status of the parents. For more information on these requirements, please click here.  
    • Presence must be proven with evidence (school transcripts, tax forms with W-2s, paystubs, passport with entry and exit stamps, utility bills in the name of the parent, military records, etc.). 
  8. Appointment Confirmation (see below).
  9. Application fee of $100 USD.

Click here for a printable CRBA checklist.  

Applications for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad are accepted by appointment only for the U.S. Embassy Mexico City Consular District.  The applying parent should email the completed DS-2029 to  In the email, list the applicant's name and the parent's contact information. Once the information has been reviewed, a reply e-mail will be sent indicating how to schedule the appointment.  

Passport Application   
The Embassy encourages applicants to apply for a CRBA and passport at the same time. Because all fees are non-refundable, however, we recommend that you do not pay for the passport application until after the CRBA is approved, You should, however, fill out the passport forms before your appointment.  Click here for the passport requirements for minors and here for information regarding fees.     

Tips for Your Appointment

  • Proving that a child is a U.S. citizen is the responsibility of a child’s parents, not the consular officer.
  • Never assume that, because you successfully applied for other children’s U.S. citizenship, you do not need to bring any evidence to your subsequent interviews. You are expected to bring all of the supporting documents you can.
  • In some cases, consular officers are unable to verify the identity of a child’s biological parents. In these situations, consular officers may ask for medical records or DNA evidence of paternity.
  • The child must be present for the interview. 
  • Both parents are strongly encouraged to accompany the child.   
  • Review the list of Permitted and Prohibited Items  for bringing in to the Embassy.  Note that laptops, tablets and phones are not allowed inside and must be checked with the guards.  If you plan to use photos to support your case for a passport or consular report of birth abroad, you should print them out and present hard copies at your interview as you will not be allowed entry with electronic devices.


Additional Information:    
More info is available on the Department of State’s website here.

Surrogacy and Assisted Reproductive Technology

  • If your case involves surrogacy or Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART), please click here for additional information.


PDF Files

  • All downloadable documents on this page require the Adobe Acrobat® Reader.  You may download a free version of Acrobat by visiting the Adobe website.