Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Lost or Stolen Passports

Obtaining a Replacement Passport

The Embassy encourages you to report the loss or theft of your passport to local authorities, and to obtain a police report.

Obtaining a replacement passport is a two-step process. First, you must report the loss or theft of your valid passport immediately to the nearest U.S. Passport Office or U.S. Embassy or Consulate using form DS-64 "Statement Regarding A Lost Or Stolen Passport (PDF, 150 kb)."

The second step is to apply for a replacement passport.

More information is available at

In the event that your passport is lost or stolen while in Mexico please come in person to the Passport & Citizenship Unit (Working Hours). No appointment is required to replace a lost/stolen passport if you have need to travel soon. Depending on your personal circumstances, the Passport office will process your application for a new full-validity or emergency (limited-validity) passport. Application requirements, including fees, for emergency passports are the same as those for full-validity passports.

You will need proof of citizenship (an original or certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a Naturalization certificate) and a photo ID, such as a driver's license or school ID. The cost of the passport is $100 USD for adults and $ 85 USD for minors under age 16.

The Passport & Citizenship Office will only issue emergency passports that are needed for urgent travel. Applicants requesting an emergency passport will be required to provide proof of immediate travel plans such as a valid itinerary or airline tickets, as well as an explanation for why the travel plans cannot be changed to allow sufficient time for the processing of a full-validity passport (usually about two weeks). In most cases, same-day issuance is possible for emergency passports. However, some cases require approval from the Department of State prior to issuance.

PDF Files

  • All downloadable documents on this page require the Adobe Acrobat® Reader.  You may download a free version of Acrobat by visiting the Adobe website.