Minor Passport Applicants
Minor Passport Applicants (First Time & Renewals)
All minors (i.e., applicants under the age of 18) -- including newborns and infants -- must have their own passport when traveling internationally by air. Applicants aged 18 or older are considered adult applicants and should follow instructions for Adult Fist-Time Passport Applicants or Adult Passport Renewals.
At the time of the appointment, the minor and parents must:
- Appear in person. For cases where one or both parents are unavailable to appear in person, click here.
- Complete passport application form DS-11. Note: Do not sign the DS-11 until you come to the Embassy; it must be signed in front of the Consular Officer.
- Provide evidence of minor's U.S. citizenship. One of the following documents is required:
- Original U.S. birth certificate in long form.
- U.S Consular Report of Birth Abroad.
- U.S. Naturalization Certificate.
- U.S. Certificate of Citizenship.
- Provide the previously issued undamaged passport if renewing a minor's passport.
- Provide evidence of relationship between the minor and parents (such as a birth certificate, court order of legal custody) and government-issued identification for both parents.
- Provide two parent consent. U.S. law requires that both parents provide consent authorizing passport issuance for minors under age 16. For requirements click here.
Please note that the above is required documentation for all minor applicants, but the Embassy may require additional documentation to verify citizenship, identity, parental relationship or other matters. All these documents are required at the time of your interview. No appointment is required for minor renewals. Simply come to the embassy with all required items any day we are open (see our Consular Calendar) before August 28th, between 2-3 pm (ONLY). Keep in mind that passports take four weeks to receive, so please plan accordingly. Minors applying for a passport for the first time DO need an appointment.
NOTE: If you are renewing and have already scheduled a morning appointment, please e-mail us so we can cancel that appointment in the appointment system.
Please read this important note for travel of minors.